Wool now is a trendy band of tissue that is an element of many goods: clothes, decorative elements for the house and even shoes. It attracts people by its long-term wear, durability, and its feature to keep warm for a long time. The source of this group of tissue is animal hair, in most cases this is fur of sheep, goats, llamas, camels.Allergy Tests at Walk-In Lab
Statistics declare that the wool allergy is quite rare and sometimes it may be confused with the vulnerability of the skin.
The allergen is lanolin (wool wax), which is contained in alcohol. It is used for processing wool fabrics. Lanolin is also an ingredient, found in lotions, creams, and sprays, so if a person is allergic to the above elements, then chances of the wool allergy increase. Furthermore, allergens can be synthetic dyes.
To diagnose the wool allergy, an individual need to pass a special test in the hospital.
Wool Allergy Symptoms
Symptoms may be expressed on the skin:
- A rash on the face and hands, it appears immediately after the contact with wool or a few days later;
- Atopic dermatitis is chronic allergic dermatitis.
Moreover, these symptoms may cause certain problems with eyes. For instance, the following issues occur:
- Watery eyes;
- Puffiness of eyes.
In addition to it, problems with the nasopharynx are obvious:
- Nasal congestion;
- A runny nose.
In children symptoms of the wool allergy are tougher, there can be a complication in a form of eczema.
However, some people may mistakenly identify the wool allergy. The point is that woolen things can provoke the irritation of the skin, yet it will not be a manifestation of the allergy, or sneezing, which is often correlated to the wool allergy, can actually be an indication of the dust allergy. Moreover, people who feel distressed wearing woolen garments, in fact, may not be exposed to allergies. A human skin is prone to the annoyance because of coarse wool, the feasible option is that coarse wool may be altered into soft, for instance, cashmere, it is softer, more pleasant to the body and does not cause discomfort.
Wool Allergy Treatment
The remedy of this type of the allergy is trivial and presupposes consecutive steps:
- Eliminate the contact with the allergen and seek a medical advice;
- Antimicrobial moisturizers and ointments may be beneficial. The preferred way is to use antihistamines.
Considering prevention of this allergy, it should be noted that the implementation of these measures won’t be effortless, although they will help to sidestep symptoms of this allergy:
- Try to wear things, containing little wool, they may not be as annoying as wholly-wool things;
- Providing that the person has a delicate reaction to wool, it is advisable to carry a piece of wool fabric always, so that the individual will be able to assess the delicacy of the skin and its reaction during the process of choosing clothes or furniture items;
- If there is no any opportunity to withdraw the favorite wool thing, then wear a shirt under the woolen sweater, it will contribute to avoiding irritation;
- Select high-quality products, the wool content must be optimal;
- In case of child’s allergies, replace all woolen garments;
- Moisturize the baby’s skin with creams and lotions regularly;
- If there is a severe allergic reaction, then buy items of 100% cotton, county or silk;
- Before the use, be sure to wash the thing.
All in all, this allergy can’t induce death and even serious complications, so it is quite possible to live with it. The person has many options for evading the allergy and all of them are attainable. It is up to the person to decide which preventive measures to use, but in order to feel secure and comfortable, it is advisable to undergo a certain testing.