At the present time food allergy is widespread phenomenon among the most common diseases and the tomato allergy can appear in any age among adults and kids equally.Allergy Tests at Walk-In Lab
It is considered that the fundamental reason of this allergy is the reaction of the organism to specific antigens – anthocyanin and lycopene.
Sometimes the reaction may occur in response to chemical additives and other harmful substances, which are discovered in tomatoes trough the fault of the manufacturers. Here are dyes, food additives, and preservatives. Hereby, the home- grown vegetables can induce any reactions.
The experts in healthcare point out that allergy to tomatoes differ from one person to another. For example, one man can have the allergy to raw tomatoes, but it will not have any negative effects after consumption of ketchup, sauce and soup containing allergenic products.
Occasionally, the reaction appears in a few minutes or hours after taking the tomato, while other people feel some negative effects from 2 till 3 days after its consumption.
Tomato Allergy Symptoms
An allergic reaction to food leads to the extrication of histamine in the body, causing plenty of allergic symptoms, which are described below:
- Skin problems – swelling of the skin and mucous membranes, especially the lips and throat, urticaria, appearance of huge blisters, itching. The skin becomes rough and dry. Once in a while, even the simple touch of tomato can also induce a redness and rash on the exposed skin. These skin problems can be localized or extended: it depends on the severity of the allergic reaction.
- Gastrointestinal problems- the chemical substances, which the tomatoes contain, cause abdominal cramps and a disorder of the stomach. In addition, histamines are able to participate in the process of defecation, provoke diarrhea. They reduce the time of passage of food through the intestines, causing the appearance of liquid, watery stool.
- Running nose – frequent sneezing, cough and watery eyes, after taking tomato are also characteristic symptoms of allergy to tomatoes. Histamine synthesis leads to vasodilation and increases their permeability. In sum, tissue and small blood vessels gradually lose fluid – this is particularly relevant for vessels disposed in the nose.
- Anaphylaxis – a severe manifestation of the allergic process. It is characterized by a sudden depression of the cardiovascular activity and respiratory systems. The patient has a respiratory failure, swelling of the lips, face, tongue, a lump in the throat, often resulting in death.
- High rate of immunoglobulin. If while undergoing medical tests, a high concentration of immunoglobulin is observed, it attests about a severe form of allergy. If the indicators are on an average level: it is a latent form of the disease.
Children reaction to tomatoes may occur after the first eating, accompanying with the definite symptoms: pain in the abdomen, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, pressure drop, swelling of the skin and mucous membranes, exacerbation of asthma, bronchospasm, dry skin and urticarial. Sometimes the anaphylactic shock can be developed.
Additionally, if the child has an allergy to tomatoes, most likely, he or she will respond to any red vegetables or fruit.
So, if you have noticed at least one of these symptoms, it is advised instantly consult the doctor.
Tomato Allergy Treatment
Tomato allergy is treated in the same way as other types of this disease and the comprehensive treatment may prescribe only doctor after the necessary medical tests.
Firstly, the tomatoes must be excluded completely from the ration. It means that neither tomatoes nor products containing them should be in the menu. When you go to eat to public places, it is significant to investigate the composition of the dishes.
Contemporary researches confirm that the antigens, which are in the fresh fruit, are destroyed after heat treatment; therefore, cooked tomatoes less often provoke allergic reactions. What is more, the allergy cannot appear while eating yellow and orange tomatoes.
While curing the intolerance of tomatoes, it is required to take medicaments and the doctor can assign the following types of medicinal means:
Antihistamines – effectively cope with the swelling, itching and cramps. Moreover, they have a sedative effect and help to prevent the development of bronchospasm and quickly improve the human condition. Such medicines are generally needed to take during 2-3 weeks.
Epinephrine – this drug has vasoconstrictor and bronchodilator effect. It is used if the anaphylactic shock is suspected.
Glucocorticoids – these remedies have a strong immune regulating action.
Corticosteroid hormones – are considered to be the most working treatment for allergies but only the doctor can prescribe them.
Bronchodilator – helps to overcome the symptoms of asthma.
Sorbents – contribute to the speedy excretion of allergens from the body.
Medications for the desensitization of the body – help to reduce the high sensitivity of the body.
In not severe forms of the allergy it is probable to use the traditional medicine.
Decoction of Herbs
The great effect has mumie. In order to prepare the recipe with this plant, it is essential to mix 1 gram of raw materials with 1 liter of water; the gotten mixture you should take once a day, and besides, it is indispensable to drink a glass of milk after it. The kids under 3 years old should drink 50 ml, and after 8 years, the volume can be doubled.
Another efficacious mean is the infusion of marigold. For this method you need 1,5tablespoons of marigold to brew in 1.5glasses of boiling water. The potion is brewed 20 minutes and then you can drink it.
Infusion for Quick Withdrawal of Allergens
One more recipe includes a burdock root, dandelion, licorice, fennel fruit and bark of buckthorn; everything is used in equal parts and mixed together; then 5 tablespoons of taken mixture we pour with 1 liter of boiling water, wait 12 hours and then take half a glass of the filtered drink before meals.
So, the allergic predispositions exist throughout the whole life, however, the relapses of allergic reactions can be easily prevented, by following the diet and regularly improving the health.