Bananas are very healthy fruit, which contain a wide set of minerals, enough fiber. They regarded to be rather nutritious and allow you quickly to still hunger, without eating fast food.Allergy Tests at Walk-In Lab
A better part of people are not even aware of a possible allergy to this exotic fruit, because it appears rarely. The bananas belong to middle allergenic group among the known food allergens; they cause cross reactions, which are spread on other products: peach, watermelon, melon etc.
The banana is one of the loved dainty not only among adults but children too. Furthermore, the kids are very vulnerable to irritants and their organisms can show a strong reaction to various allergens, the bananas are not exception. Therefore, it is needful to give a child a small bite of it before feed with the whole banana and observe the reaction.
There are some reasons when the person may feel bad after the banana consumption:
1. True allergy – is rare, and it is the result of the body’s hypersensitivity to specific substances, which are contained in the fruit.
2. The consequence of serotonin excess, which in large amount is contained in bananas. The serotonin plays a substantial role in the functioning of the organism and in small doses renders only favorable effects. But if you eat bananas constantly, surplus of this substance may take place, which leads to the symptoms of the allergy. In that case, it is enough either to exclude this delicacy from the ration or eat it less often.
3. The allergy to substances, which are applied to process the bananas during transportation and storage. Although the structure of this fruit is beneficial, because its edible part is covered with a peel, it is preferably to wash the banana under running water to remove all undesirable elements.
4. If there are any problems with the work of digestive system, liver, pancreas or intestine, the bananas can simply make them appear.
5. “Farfetched allergy” – this is a situation, when the person has once poisoned by a specific product, and in sum similar symptoms may occur each time after its consumption. It happens due to excitement and fear.
Banana Allergy Symptoms
The most exemplary symptoms associated with the allergic to bananas are watery eyes, runny nose, and coughing. The others are shown below:
- Skin rash – occurs after a short period of time. It can be located on the entire surface or on its individual parts. The usage of bananas can bring to skin diseases such as eczema and urticaria.
- Severe itching – not only on exposed skin, but on the lips, in the oral cavity, very often the itching is limited by palate. Particularly difficult in this case with young children, because they scratch their skin uncontrollably, which is quite delicate, thence, they damage it, reducing the protective functions and it can raise infections.
- Edema – the itching may be accompanied by swelling of the tongue, lips, eyes, and even the throat. The edema, which can cause problems with swallowing of food, is a reason to worry and should be immediately brought to the hospital.
- The disorders of the digestive tract – nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, flatulence and diarrhea.
- Anaphylaxis – this is an infrequent but a life-threatening reaction of the organism, as a rule, it is accompanying by the narrowing of the respiratory tract. Anaphylactic shock causes the obstruction of the respiratory tract due to the sudden swelling of tissues, which leads to problems with breathing. The patient has a feeling of a lump in the throat, the hoarseness occurs. Blood pressure may drop sharply, resulting in a loss of consciousness. The increase of heart rate, dizziness and nausea are another symptoms of anaphylaxis. This severe reaction, which can happen in a few seconds after the bite of a banana, needs the urgent medical care.
- Allergic rhinitis – it is seldom arise when talking about food allergy, but occasionally it appears if the allergy is strongly expressed. The same is possible to say about the allergic conjunctivitis.
The allergy of bananas among children causes redness, inflammation of the skin. The digestive disorders for kids are a rarity. Only a little number of small patients suffers from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain.
Banana Allergy Treatment
The hypoallergenic diet – is used when the person has the first symptoms of the allergy. It suggests the complete restriction of banana consumption and other allergenic products: all citrus fruits, canned food, milk, fish, chocolate, honey. If this measure does not help, it is advised to exclude the middle-allergenic food: fruit, meat products, cereals and so on. The minimum course of such a diet to alleviate the condition is 2-3 weeks.
The antihistamines – do not give the provocateurs of allergy affect fully. Such medicine rarity is taken immediately, after the first symptoms.
Even if you drink or eat something with the banana as a part, you should not wait for the reaction. Unfortunately, there is no a universal medicine for everybody, thus the famous and helpful product “Suprastin” has such adverse effects as dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, which notice many patients.
Another well-known remedy is “Tsetrin”, it is cheaper than the previous one, but people emphasize that at first it works effectively but in course of time the effect becomes worse; moreover it also induces weakness, headache, sleepiness, psychomotor agitation.
3. The ointments with hormone in its composition – an effective anti-inflammatory agent, which helps to overcome a rash on the skin.
But only a doctor prescribes it, and only if there are indications, because thoughtless application can lead to complications. For example, the patients complain on ointments that inhibit the regeneration of the skin, cause dermatitis and acne.
To sum up, when the allergy does not disappear after taking antiallergic drugs and following the diet, consequently, some disorders of other organs of digestion, including liver, pancreas, and large intestine may occur; in this situation it is substantial to consult a doctor repeatedly.