Formaldehyde – many people have heard this word, it is familiar almost to everyone, but only a few people know that formaldehyde is hazardous and it can induce allergies.Allergy Tests at Walk-In Lab
What is formaldehyde? It is gas with a pungent smell, which in large quantities and with prolonged exposure has a detrimental effect on a person’s health. It is a preservative in the manufacture of skin care products, hygiene goods, paints, detergents; it is added to medicines and it is the constituent of balsaming solution.
It is widely employed in various types of industry, and, in fact, is an indispensable segment of a great diversity of things and objects.
Thus, this gas is an allergen, which triggers an allergic reaction.
Sources of formaldehyde are varied and there are no chances to eliminate them completely from the household life and it is hardly achievable because they cover:
- Furniture, as it is an essential ingredient of plastic and chipboard;
- Building materials: wallpapers, glass, sealants;
- Household chemicals: detergents, cleaners;
- Pharmacological medicines – it is a part of anti-sweating agents;
- Various cosmetics.
Since this gas is very toxic, it affects the respiratory system, the nervous system, the gastrointestinal tract, a mucous membrane and epidermis.
Formaldehyde Allergy Symptoms
Ordinarily, symptoms are quite extensive, and their expression can occur in benign or severe forms. They affect the following classes:
- The nervous system: there can be dizziness, disorientation, the sleep disturbance, unjustified anxiety.
- The respiratory system: asthma, bronchitis and pulmonary edema arise.
- In the gastrointestinal tract acute pain in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea are noticed.
- In the mucous membrane conjunctivitis emerges.
- On the skin eczema, nettle-rash and blisters become visible.
Formaldehyde Allergy Treatment
Being that during allergic reactions intoxication occurs, the person must urgently visit the doctor-toxicologist. The treatment implicates the use of the following means:
- Anti-inflammatory medicines;
- Creams, ointments, and lotions to relieve symptoms from the skin;
Sometimes precautionary measures are unattainable seeing that this gas surrounds us everywhere, but still there are some measures, which will be beneficial:
- It is known that furniture is made of natural wood or chipboard; it is a constant source of formaldehyde. This gas is released continuously and has a disastrous effect on the human nervous system, eyes, skin, the respiratory tract, so if the person is allergic to formaldehyde, then it is advisable to get rid of wooden furniture;
- If the option of replacing all wooden things is not valid, then it is recommended to curtail the level of formaldehyde below the detection limit. Do not forget that each person has an individual rate of toxicity, everything depends on the body’s defenses and the immune system;
- It makes sense to select the emission class E1 of furniture, wherein the formaldehyde content is not greater than 10 mg;
- Check the composition of the household chemicals and cosmetics before purchasing;
- Ventilate premises regularly;
- It has been investigated that indoor plants: fern, dracaena, chrysanthemum are able to absorb toxic gas, so they can be very helpful.
Therefore, it is unfeasible to abolish the deleterious constituent, all people can do is to protect themselves from harmful effects. A careful selection of furniture, household chemicals, cosmetics and even medicines will promote to diminish the concentration of formaldehyde in the environment, which, consequently, will have an auspicious effect on decreasing the risk of allergic reactions.