In the modern world, the allergic reactions become not uncommon problems. Those products that several years ago seemed completely safe today may provoke illnesses and cause the dissemination of food allergies, among which the scrupulous attention deserves coffee allergy.
In the list of allergens, coffee is even higher than strawberries, but numerous people do not even know that this type of disease exists and try to avoid other products from their ration but not this one.
The Reasons of Coffee Allergy
It is thought that the allergic reaction is caused only by the instant coffee because it contains flavor enhancers and various additives.
But in fact, the body is able to block their own synthetic stimuli, moreover, the instant coffee contains only 15% of the caffeine that is a small quantity to induce reactions, so in most cases allergy is stimulated by quite different substances. A true coffee allergy happens when we use coffee beans because they comprise a chlorogenic acid, which triggers the growth of the side reactions.
Coffee allergy can be innate and acquired. The hereditary factor is guilty in the manifestation of an innate allergy; this form usually appears in young children after consumption of chocolate or carbonated drink with caffeine.
Health problems are the causers of the acquired allergy. Pathology of the kidneys, metabolic disorders, chronic diseases of the digestive tract, liver and pancreas, low level of the body’s defenses lead to the fact that the immune system starts to perceive the caffeine and chlorogenic acid as a foreign protein. Consequently, the organism produces antibodies that stimulate the illness.
Constantly the allergy to coffee is induced by the abuse of flavored drink. In the length of time, this habit can even induce the intolerance to any coffee products.
Coffee Allergy Symptoms
If you know the reasons that can provoke the coffee allergy, it is significant to puzzle out the particularities of its manifestations. These are the numerous symptoms that can have varying grades of severity, among which the most spread are:
- Reactions of skin: itching, urticaria, red spots. Skin allergy can be characterized by the occurrence of dermatitis; this form of the sickness ordinarily occurs if a person does not pay attention to the skin reactions and continues to consume the refreshing drink, which is actually a root of the problem.
- Reactions of the respiratory system: shortness of breath, dry cough, discharges of mucus from the nasal passages, nasal congestion, sneezing, etc.
- Digestive reactions: diarrhea, hiccups, flatulence, heartburn, discomfort in the intestine.
When an allergic reaction manifests particularly intensively, other negative symptoms may occur: tachycardia, chills, accompanied by changes in temperature of the body, headaches;
occasionally the symptoms can be more severe, one of which is Kvinke edema. It is very perilous because it creates difficulties in breathing, can even lead to death if the patient is not given the first aid.
Sometimes the reaction to the coffee can arise even from the smell, which specifies the first phase of the illness. The manifestation is not so heavy when the caffeine gets into the body for the first time, but the subsequent contact with the allergen is able to urge more serious symptoms.
After the time, such an innocuous reaction can deteriorate and cause the above-described manifestations.
Coffee Allergy Treatment
The first point that is needful to do is to verify the existence of the illness by conducting allergy tests. If the diagnosis is confirmed, the next essential measure is to eliminate this product from the ration, as well as tea, cocoa, chocolate, energy drinks, which contain a hazardous substance in its composition.
Regrettably, it is not sufficient to exclude coffee from the consumption to abandon the existing symptoms, thus, the medical care is often required. The antihistamines are frequently used to alleviate the human condition and liquidate the symptoms: Dimedrolum, Zirtek, Ketotifenum etc.
But such medications should be prescribed by a doctor because they are capable of inducing side effects: sleepiness, adversely affect the kidneys, liver, heart, can provoke an unexpected reaction to organs of vision.
There is one more measure of curing – immunotherapy. The procedure involves injecting the small doses of the allergen under the skin. After several treatments, when the body starts to produce immunity, the portion will be gradually increased. It should be mentioned that this technique is expected to be quite efficacious; it helps many patients to obviate the health problems.
Varied types of traditional medicine for people with coffee allergy are offered:
- Mumie is suggested to be one of the most efficient medications. We require diluting one gram of this herb with one liter of warm water. It should be dissolved instantly, without any features of turbidity. Children up to three years use 50 mg of the mixture, kids from 4 to 7 years – 70 mg and children from eight years old and adults – 100 milliliters. The solution is taken only once a day.
- The infusion of Filipendula ulmaria. You require pouring a handful of flowers with 2 cups of boiling water and insist it a little. The patient drinks the infusion 3-4 times a day; the preferable dose is one tablespoon. If you use it for a short time, it can give only a slight reduction of allergy, but lasting effect is probably only after 2-3 months of constant treatment.
- Infusion of celandine. You should take one tablespoon of plant and brew it in 2 cups of boiling water. The patient drinks 100 milliliters of it before eating in the morning and in the evening.
- There are some folk beliefs that for the full treatment of an allergy, it is indispensable for a long term (some years) to use the decoction of marigold, rather than the habitual morning drinks – tea and coffee. This decoction is brewed like tea and used once a day.
To conclude, a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet, a good state of immunity, therapy of chronic illnesses is the clue to the absence of health problems.
Dr. David J. Clark, DC about Danger of Coffee & Gluten Sensitivity