Everyone in one or another degree contacts with chlorine and with substances, which include chlorine. In the contemporary world, chlorine is a component of household chemicals, disinfectants; it is added to tap water, sometimes in small doses it is added to the medicines.Allergy Tests at Walk-In Lab
Furthermore, fans of swimming have always faced with chlorine in public pools. The notion that the chlorine allergy can be only an occupational disease of technicians is erroneous. In a domestic environment, almost anyone can be faced with an allergic reaction to chlorine. Chlorine is extremely perilous for children, by virtue of that allergies can manifest themselves even during swimming.
So, what is the reason for this manifestation?
Generally, the chlorine allergy is an acute immune response to the interaction between certain proteins of the human organism with chlorine. Accordingly, chlorine itself is not an allergen.
Chlorine Allergy Symptoms
Symptoms of the disease are not quite harmless, for instance:
- Conjunctivitis comprises: burning eyes, tearing and a local redness;
- Rhinitis supposes the presence of nasal congestion, a runny nose, sneezing;
- Contact dermatitis, which can be expressed in three ways: a simple form, which is characterized by redness of the skin at the contact with chlorine, itching and burning, the sensation on the skin. Allergic dermatitis spreads over a large area of the skin, inflammation is observed and this type can lead to complications, one of them is eczema. The most severe manifestation involves the formation of erosions on the skin, accompanied by itching;
- Nettle-rash induces blisters of various sizes.
It should be noted that these symptoms first appear in the axilla and groin area.
Besides, this allergy can cause serious repercussions such as angioedema and anaphylactic shock, which can engender demise.
Oftentimes these indicators in children are very treacherous for the reason that the child’s skin is more delicate and it is easily affected, the respiratory tract is vulnerable. In addition to these symptoms, children may experience cramps and shortness of breath.
Indeed, the above symptoms may occur in the acute form and without any delay, sometimes they come out later, after a certain concentration of chlorine has been reached.
Allergy Symptoms Treatment
The remedy of symptoms involves specific steps:
- Elimination of the allergen exposure: the use of special gloves, respirators. The rejection of visiting public swimming pools and saunas;
- The local application of moisturizing lotions and creams;
- Desensitization of the organism presupposes taking antihistamines and anti-inflammatory medicines.
Since chlorine is around us almost everywhere, it is very arduous to get rid of products, containing chlorine. Therefore, it is attainable to restrict the use of chlorine:
- Do not drink tap water, use water filters;
- Conduct the cleaning of premises without chlorine;
- Limit the visiting public swimming pools;
- People, who are directly related to chlorination, must use special protective means: glasses, aprons.
Hence, in any case, the person, who is prone to the chlorine allergy, requires skilled medical care, which will help to ward off the occurrence of grievous symptoms that lead to death. Nevertheless, do not forget that adherence to basic preventative measures will protect from this allergy.