Avocado is concerned to be an original and interesting exotic fruit. It has many positive characteristics affecting the body.
Avocado diminishes the risk of heart disease, particularly heart attack; prevents atherosclerosis, hypertension, and anemia. The nutritionists prescribe this product for people who have chronic constipation, cataracts, diabetes, gastrointestinal diseases, which are accompanied by a high level of acidity.
Also, avocados should be eaten in the postoperative period, in the period of recovery after the infectious diseases.
However, despite the fact that it comprises a big number of nutrients and other minerals, it may cause allergy. Thus, in obedience to the American foundation of allergy and asthma, about 2% of American adults suffer from food allergies and 10% from them, have avocado allergy. The cases of allergic reactions are infrequent, but the symptomatology is similar to the reactions to other products.
The reasons of avocado allergy are not numerous, the most prevalent are:
- People, who have predisposition to latex allergy. Latex – is a product of chemical processing of the rubber tree juice, which serves to produce a huge number of medical rubber goods and products of a mass use. The intolerance of latex in 80% of cases becomes a cause of cross food allergy. People, who prone to latex allergy, often do not endure potatoes, tomatoes, chestnuts and exotic fruits, such as avocado.
- The second reason is connected with farmers, on whose plantations the fruit grow. They do not wait until the avocados ripen; instead of this, the farmers pollinate this fruit with ethylene gas. When it permeates into the fruit, the allergenic enzyme chitinase is formed. But those fruit, which are grown in an organic way, do not keep this substance and are safe for health.
- When the immunity is weakened, avocado protein glycoprotein is perceived by the body as a foreign substance.
Avocado Allergy Symptoms
Avocado allergy does not belong to the immediate type reactions. The symptoms begin to occur during some time after the consumption of the product, it can be in an hour or after a long period.
Usually the allergy induces determined symptoms:
- malaise, pain in the sinuses, headache, insomnia;
- swelling of the face;
- watery eyes, redness, swelling and inflammation of the eyelids, itching of the eyes;
- vomiting and nausea;
- running nose, nasal sinuses or excessive sneezing;
- itchy skin (redness and scales – symptoms of urticaria and eczema);
- asthma symptoms – wheezing, shortness of breath, etc. (frequently the asthmatics have avocado allergy).
- moderate or strong pain in the stomach, convulsions;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- itching and tickling in the mouth, swelling of the tongue and lips;
- swelling of the throat, which causes pain and discomfort even in swallowing water;
- Anaphylaxis – is the most dangerous reaction, which can be fatal. During anaphylaxis symptoms develop very quickly: suddenly reduced blood pressure, suffocation appears, difficulty breathing, heart rate increases, urticaria and loss of consciousness.
If a child is predisposed to latex allergies, the parents should not include the avocado in baby’s food. It is needful to consult the pediatrician before giving avocados and other fruit with similar properties (bananas, kiwi, melons, and mangoes).
However, after the heat-treatment the allergen is inactivated. Children’s allergic process is more serious than in adults and there is a risk of infection of the skin, because kids constantly scratch the sores and numerous ulcers are formed.
Children’s reaction to the exotic green fruit can include such symptoms: skin rash, running nose, swollen lips, throat and tongue, stomach pain, watery eyes, irritability, diarrhea, etc. Kids are also susceptible to dyspnea, and anaphylaxis.
Hence, if one of the above symptoms is observed, it is indispensable to seek medical help immediately.
Avocado Allergy Treatment
Avocado treatment is carried out by traditional therapeutic methods. Preference is given to the medicine of the new generation, because they have the minimum degree of contraindications and they are not addictive.
Medicines of new generation include such remedies: Claritin, Sempreks, Zyrtec, Aerius, Telfast and others.
In the early stages of the evolution of avocado allergy, traditional, time-tested methods are prescribed. Thus, in order to prepare very simple but efficacious mixture, chamomile flowers are required: 1 teaspoon of chamomile flowers is brewed with 1 glass of hot water; after the filtering, the infusion is used 3 times a day. This drink eases itching, unticaria, rash, cures diarrhea. It can also be taken in the form of eye lotions.
How to Avoid Avocado Allergy
Exclude the consumption of this fruit from the ration, as well as bananas, melons, mangoes and kiwi.
- Read the components of the products on the stickers
Sometimes the avocado is used as the substitute of butter or other fat in some recipes of bakery products, chocolate cookies and cakes.
- Check the list of ingredients of cosmetics
Avocado is widely used to prepare some types of cosmetics: lotion, cream, shampoo, because its high level of fat increases the wetting properties of the products.
- Find a substitute of avocado
Frequently it is suggested to substitute the puree of avocado on puree of green peas or puree of cooked broccoli. It is possible to do quasi-guacamole by mixing any of this puree with garlic, tomatoes, pickles, onions and lime. It is rather delicious and healthy dish!
How is Avocado Allergy Distinguished?
- It is needed to test the blood from a vein in laboratory to identify the allergen. Eating and antihistamines do not affect the test results.
- To determine the ratio of the level of antibodies, ELISA diagnostics is carried out.
- While passing the medical testing, a cross-reaction may occur on other food products, which are similar to above described symptoms.